Friday, August 22, 2008

Royal Trouble!

In my books, the telephone has been the greatest invention ever. I love the phone, always have and always will. I remember even during my school and college days, I'd get back home and within minutes, get on the phone with friends I'd met just an hour before. It used to get on my mom's nerves; maybe that's why it was more fun:) Anyway the love has sustained over the years although the opportunties and free time to enjoy conversations have lessened. Another major obstacle in the way of my time on the phone is Aishu, my 2-year old.

Aishu is a lot like DH in many ways; cute, stubborn, independent-minded but has taken after me in this one regard - Obsession with the phone. She adores talking on the phone, to herself, her dad, grandparents, anyone!! I normally sneak to a corner of the house while making phone calls to avoid the confrontation and the physical struggle, that is normally followed by a sprint all around the house.

I dont mind her saying a quick" hello" - there's a cuteness factor there for sure. However, once the phone is in her hand, that's it. She'll subject the listener with woes about her mom, updates on what the "guys" (her sisters) are fighting about, or serenade them with her newest musical accomplishment, the latest being: "baar baar deko, zaar baar deko". Occasionally she'll also break into dance, not realizing that her mom has an age-old phone that doesn't have video transfer capability. Her latest pastime has been to share a joke that borders on funny and obscene. It goes like this:

"Shake your booty, shake your booty, shake your booty" In a musical tune , followed by the question:

"You know what booty means? BUTT!" Followed by hysterical laughter.

I laughed the first time I heard it, I'll admit, but after the 100th time, I think the humor factor has worn out for me. Her sisters, of course, find it hilarious and keep encouraging her. Sigh..I figure the fascination with butt-jokes will wear off soon BUTT then again who am I kidding:)

Anyway, after the morning chores and getting lunch ready, I usually call DH around 11:00 to catch a quick conversation and positive energy transfer over the telephone lines. If the kids are around, they'll sometimes catch me updating him on the goings-on at home: who did what, to whom, with what, when, where, why and so on. If the call was preceded by a major event, then the guilty parties involved will overhear in anticipation to see what is being reported.

After acute observations, I guess Aishu really has caught on on this typical routine. This morning, after making sure all three had had a snack, and reading a couple of books to Aishu, I picked up the phone to call DH with Aishu sitting right next to me. Our conversation:

Aishu: Who you calling?
Me: Appa
Aishu: Why?
Me: Because.
Aishu: Why, coz i tubble you?

1 comment:

Nidhi said...

LOL! Loved the conversation .... have to admit she is very honest. As regards the butt joke .... catch some of the same on my blog :>)